Try this recipe for a deliciously seasonal twist on the classic family favorite:
1 pound elbow or shell multigrain pasta
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups preferred milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. In a large pot, cook pasta according to package instructions and drain well.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened. Whisk in milk and simmer 1 to 2 minutes more.
3. Remove pan from heat; add cheddar and pumpkin puree to milk mixture, and whisk until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour cheese mixture over the drained pasta and mix until evenly coated.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F. Pour mac and cheese into a large baking dish and top with panko breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bread crumbs are golden brown.