2 ¼ cups whole-wheat flour plus extra for rolling out the dough
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter cold, unsalted (2 sticks)
½ cup water plus ice
1 egg beaten with a splash of water
8 tablespoons strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put the flour and salt in a food processor with the dough blade and pulse it together briefly.
3. Meanwhile fill a glass measuring cup with ½ cup water and add a few ice cubes to it.
4. Take the cold butter straight out of the fridge and cut it into ½ inch chunks. Sprinkle the pieces of butter on top of the flour in the food processor. Be careful to spread out the butter over the flour.
5. Turn on food processor and process until the mixture resembles wet sand. With food processor running, add 1/3 cup water through top chute. As dough comes together, add 2 – 3 more teaspoons water as needed so a dough ball will form.
6. Remove dough from food processor and place on a lightly floured counter or large cutting board. Sprinkle lightly with flour. Roll out the dough to ¼-inch thickness.
7. Using a large heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into hearts. (Alternatively, use a knife to cut dough into rectangles.)
8. Spoon 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon jam, depending on size of pieces, in the center of half of pieces.
9. Top with second half of dough shapes and seal edges by pushing down with the tines a fork. Poke each pie with a fork to create a few holes. Lastly, brush tops of pies with egg wash.
10. Bake 15 to 24 minutes or until golden brown, depending on size.
11. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
12. Pies can be refrigerated 3 days or frozen for 6 months. They can be eaten cold or reheated.