Ole! This filling, kid friendly recipe is perfect for your family’s Cinco de Mayo celebration. Taquito is spanish for “small taco”. It is a Mexican food dish most often consisting of a small, rolled up tortilla and some type of filling.
2 tablespoons canola oil, plus additional for brushing
1 1/4 pounds ground sirloin (90/10)
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
6 oz grated cheddar cheese
30 small corn tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
3. Add ground beef and break into small pieces.
4. Add onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
5. Sauté until beef is cooked through.
6. Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave 15 seconds, or until tortillas are pliable.
7. Place a couple of tablespoons of the meat mixture to the right of center on each tortilla and top meat with a tablespoon of grated cheese. Roll tortillas up tightly and place on a cookie sheet, seam side down. Repeat process with remaining tortillas and beef mixture.
8. When all are filled brush each taquito liberally with canola oil. Place in oven for 10 minutes until the topped are lightly toasted and the cheese has melted on the inside.