1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 large Granny Smith apples (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, and simmer until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer butter to a small ceramic dish to stop the cooking process, and set aside.
3. Peel and core apples then chop into small cubes. Combine chopped apples in a medium bowl with the brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, zest and juice.
4. Place a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apple mixture. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes, until the apples are soft and mixture thickens.
5. Place a single sheet of phyllo dough onto a cutting board and coat with nonstick spray. Fold the sheet in half. Spoon 1/2 cup of the apples onto the bottom edge of the dough, leaving 1″ space on all sides. Fold the dough over twice to form a packet and fold the edges under to secure the pie. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and brush with browned butter.
6. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to make 4 mini strudels. Bake 6-8 minutes until golden brown.